From Theory to Practice
Students will use scaffolding to research and organize information for writing a research paper. A research paper scaffold provides students with clear support for writing expository papers that include a question (problem), literature review, analysis, methodology for original research, results, conclusion, and references. Students examine informational text, use an inquiry-based approach, and practice genre-specific strategies for expository writing. Depending on the goals of the assignment, students may work collaboratively or as individuals. A student-written paper about color psychology provides an authentic model of a scaffold and the corresponding finished paper. The research paper scaffold is designed to be completed during seven or eight sessions over the course of four to six weeks.
back to top
back to top
FROM THEORY TO PRACTICE
O'Day, S. (2006) Setting the stage for creative writing: Plot scaffolds for beginning and intermediate writers. Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
- Research paper scaffolding provides a temporary linguistic tool to assist students as they organize their expository writing. Scaffolding assists students in moving to levels of language performance they might be unable to obtain without this support.
- An instructional scaffold essentially changes the role of the teacher from that of giver of knowledge to leader in inquiry. This relationship encourages creative intelligence on the part of both teacher and student, which in turn may broaden the notion of literacy so as to include more learning styles.
- An instructional scaffold is useful for expository writing because of its basis in problem solving, ownership, appropriateness, support, collaboration, and internalization. It allows students to start where they are comfortable, and provides a genre-based structure for organizing creative ideas.
Biancarosa, G., and Snow, C. E. (2004.) Reading next-A vision for action and research in middle and high school literacy: A report from the Carnegie Corporation of New York. Washington, DC: Alliance for Excellent Education.
- In order for students to take ownership of knowledge, they must learn to rework raw information, use details and facts, and write.
- Teaching writing should involve direct, explicit comprehension instruction, effective instructional principles embedded in content, motivation and self-directed learning, and text-based collaborative learning to improve middle school and high school literacy.
- Expository writing, because its organizational structure is rooted in classical rhetoric, needs to be taught.
back to top
In Search Of A 5th Grade Research Paper Example On The Web
Fifth grade is where the real magic happens, I believe, as a teacher of some 25 years of experience. Now, what is great about the fifth grade is students begin learning more challenging things. Writing becomes more advanced and math becomes more advanced as well.
While fifth grade is full of beautiful challenges, you may find it is overwhelming at times—all the new information you are receiving.
For the first time, you might be required to write a real essay and do not know what to do.
First, Let Me Tell You The Must Knows for a Great Fifth Grade Essay
What is an essay really? An essay is typically your insights plus research. You explore a NARROW area of your unique interest and tell your teacher your insights plus research.
So, let’s say you love love love dolphins and you hope one day to go swim with them. Perhaps you can find a narrow topic within the topic of dolphins that you could address in a short essay.
What you do not want to do is just say—I’ll write about dolphins. Dolphins is a huge subject! Do you mean dolphin intelligence? Dolphins’ habits? How Dolphins Mate? How Dolphins Feed? The personality of Dolphins
See, you need a narrow area to focus on. Dolphin communication would be a good topic, but it is still large. One way to narrow down wide topics is to look at only the most recent research upon them. Then, you could call your paper something really advanced like “New Research into Dolphin Communication” or “New Theories on Dolphin Intelligence and Communication.”
Second, Try Reading Example Student Essays on the Web
If you are going to read sample essays, you want to make sure they are quality essays, right? You want to make sure these are A+ quality essays that have all the elements of writing that a good essay should, such as a thesis statement, and a proper flow from the introductory paragraph, to the evidence body paragraphs, to the closing paragraph, right? So, in any sample you look at, make sure you can identify all of these elements.. Without them, you do not have a true essay.
Try this Trick
One trick is to look up “A plus essays by Fifth Graders,” or “Award winning Essays By Fifth Graders.” This will work splendidly.